Mission, Values, and History


FASNY nurtures creative, open-minded, critical thinkers to become lifelong learners motivated to lead, contribute and thrive in an ever-changing world. We focus on the learning and well-being of our students in an academically rigorous, multicultural, bilingual setting that brings together the best of American, French and International education.

We value an inclusive community where everyone is seen, heard and feels respected.


  • We believe that an international education, built on bilingualism and multiple approaches to learning, opens minds, teaches adaptability, and prepares children for tomorrow.
  • We believe that critical and creative thinking, rigor, and curiosity drive academic excellence.
  • We believe that a complete education goes well beyond academics.
  • We believe that embracing diversity and inclusiveness shapes better people.
  • We believe that students thrive in a safe and nurturing environment.
  • We believe that empathy, integrity, and responsibility are at the core of global citizenship.

Apply to FASNY today! 

FASNY fine motor skills

In 1980, Katrine Watkins and Sylvette Maschino, two teachers from the Lycée Français de New York who wanted to create a truly bilingual school, founded the French-American School of New York.

FASNY started in one room with 17 students attending nursery and pre-kindergarten classes. In this historic location at 111 Larchmont Avenue in Larchmont, New York, FASNY quickly grew to occupy the whole building, which now hosts our preschool and part of the lower school.

To accommodate a growing number of students, a second campus opened on East Boston Post Road in the early 1990s, in the buildings of the former Most Holy Trinity School. In 1995, the second campus moved to 145 New Street, in Mamaroneck, and was home to the preschool and high school, which, in those days, went up to only the 10th grade.

In 1996, Brigitte Sajous was appointed co-head of the school with Katherine Watkins.

In 2002, Bob Leonhardt was appointed sole head of the school.

In 2005, a third campus opened in Scarsdale to host the preschool.

In 2007, FASNY added the 11th and 12th grades, offering the S and ES tracks as well as the International Option of the French baccalaureate. In 2009, FASNY graduated its first high-school class. The baccalaureate success rate was, and has since remained, 100%. The first graduating class also set the tone for stellar college acceptances with, for example, two of its graduates being accepted to Harvard.

In 2012, Joël Peinado was appointed head of school.

In 2015, FASNY was accredited to offer the International Baccalaureate, in addition to the French baccalaureate.

In 2017, the high school, now offering classes in grades 9 through 12, relocated to the Most Holy Trinity site, whose buildings were completely renovated and outfitted with the latest academic technology before FASNY moved back.

In 2017, FASNY graduated its first IB class with a 100% success rate.

In 2018, the preschool moved back to Larchmont.

In 2019, Francis Gianni was appointed head of school.

In 2020, FASNY celebrates its 40th anniversary and launches the International Program for students in grades 1 through 8. This program offers a predominantly English speaking curriculum, opening up the halls of FASNY to more families than ever before. Students in the International Program will study roughly 70% of their subjects in English, with the remaining 30% in French, at the individual level and pace of each child’s language skills.