Academics

Middle School

Learning

Students in the Middle School have the option of choosing the French-American program or the International Program. Both programs are rigorous courses of study that meet the needs of highly motivated students, giving them the background for success in the High School and Beyond. Curricula and learning styles in both programs are harmonized for an ideal bilingual learning experience. Our students quickly learn that the English and French curricula overlap, just as subjects are linked.

Well-Being

As our middle school students navigate the personal and academic challenges of the middle school years, they will find a Well-Being team made up of dedicated teachers, heads of department, leaders of learning, administrators and support staff to coach and support students to develop their full potential in the areas of student learning, student leadership and student emotional and social well-being.
 
Complementing the highly demanding yet academically rich curriculum are life- and study-skills classes where students “learn how to learn” (time management, goal setting, test- and note-taking strategies, learning style awareness, etc.) and how to communicate effectively, solve conflicts, and be positive, contributing members of a school community. 
The Middle School offers a strong, nurturing, and academically rich environment dedicated to developing the following Student Learning Profile attributes in all learners:
  • Communicators
  • Reflective
  • Balanced
  • Caring
  • Thinkers
  • Principled
  • Knowledgeable
  • Open-Minded
  • Inquirers
  • Risk-Takers
FASNY students are encouraged to participate actively in school clubs and sports teams, while an active student government organizes picnics, game nights, ski trips, and dances to further enrich the school experience.

International Program

The International Program offers a predominantly English speaking curriculum at the Middle School level. With little to no french required, the International Program curriculum is studied roughly 70% in English, with the remaining 30% in French, at the individual level and pace of each child’s language skills. 

French-American Program

In the French-American Program, students will have about 55% of their courses taught in French and 45% in English. This percentage could vary slightly based on course selection in the sciences and languages. Similar to the International program, students will work on their English language skills at their pace based on proficiency levels.
In both programs, the curriculum taught in French is mandated by the French Ministry of Education, with some contextual adaptations. The curriculum taught in English has been developed by the school in accordance with the best practices of American and international independent schools. Regardless of program Middle School students are offered a robust curriculum concentrating on:
  • French
  • Reading Workshop
  • Critical Thinking
  • English
  • Math, Math Computation & Computer Science
  • Sciences
  • History/Geography
  • Social Studies,
  • Physical Education
  • Creative Arts
  • Homeroom

Letter from the Head of Middle School

It is my pleasure to welcome you to FASNY’s middle school, grades 6 through 8. I work closely with the Dean of Students; the school counselor, Ms. Anita Giordano; the Leaders of Learning for each class; and a team of caring, experienced teachers to create a learning environment that serves the needs of the whole child.

Gilbert Ekotto
Head of Middle School

French-American School of New York International and Bilingual School