Our program offers many opportunities for students to grow as compassionate and responsible leaders through engagement with local communities and the world.
The Community Service club and other groups coordinate many initiatives throughout the school year. Some of our recurring flagship programs include:
- Thanksgiving Soup Kitchen. Our community comes together to invite, transport, and serve the less fortunate a traditional meal homecooked by our families and served by parents and students in our decorated cafeteria.
- Midnight Run. This combined effort by Middle and High School students raises funds and distributes clothing, food, blankets, toiletries, and other necessities to the homeless of Manhattan.
- Nicaragua service trip
- Habitat for Humanity
- Students in 6th grade are required to complete 10 hours of service during the school year. Signed sheets need to be submitted by the Monday following the Kermesse. Any hours completed after that date will be logged for 7th grade.
- Students in 7th and 8th grade are required to complete 10 hours within 12 months, between May 1 and April 30. Any hours completed after that date will be logged for the following year.
Students in grades 9-12 are required to complete 50 hours of service over the course of their High School years in order to graduate. All hours have to be completed by April 30.
- Students in 9th, 10th, and 11th grade: Hours completed after April 30 will be logged for the following year.
- Students in 12th grade: Failure to complete the required hours before April 30 could result in a student not receiving a FASNY high school diploma at the graduation ceremony.
The hours would be prorated, depending on when a student enters FASNY’s High School.
Incomplete hours will be noted on the student’s final report card.
Presidential Volunteer Service Award
Students in the High School who exceed 100 or more hours within 12 months qualify to receive the Presidential Volunteer Service Award. In order for the school to send the application, the hours have to be completed within the previous year, from May 1 to April 30. If your child completed 100 hours from, for example, January to January or September to September, you will need to bring to Ms. Giordano copies of the signed community service sheets for that period. Please note that this is important because our system only allows us to compute hours submitted from May 1 to April 30.
Community Service Coordinator:
Ms. Anita Giordano