For Speakers of Other Languages
In our community, in which 50+ nationalities are represented, 11% of students speak neither French nor English at home.
FASNY offers one entry point for students who speak neither French nor English: Preschool.
In Preschool, children acquire both languages at the same time.
In Lower School, the program emphasizes French at the beginning, then becomes fully bilingual by grade 2.
In English, students are grouped by language level, moving from ESL (English as a Second Language) to Intermediate, and finally to Regular as their language skills develop.
In French, we implement:
- Push-in: a second teacher comes into the classroom during certain French language arts classes
- Pull-out: small groups of students work separately with a teacher on specific skills during certain French language arts classes
From 6th to 8th grade, the program is bilingual, with as many courses taught in French as in English. Linguistic support continues through the extra-help system for French, and through the three-tiered English levels for English.
In 9th grade, a new international program is taught entirely in English. The international program provides optimal preparation for the IB program in grades 11 and 12.In 11th grade, students choose between:
- the International Baccalaureate track, taught either entirely in English or bilingually, if the student is qualified to take both English and French as a Language A
- the French Baccalaureate track, taught in French, with or without the OIB (International [American] Option). In the OIB, English and social studies are taught for four to five hours weekly at a native level, and the classes are the equivalent of an AP or honors course.
Throughout their years at FASNY, students have many opportunities to participate in co-curricular activities offered in either French or English.
A FASNY education is great preparation for the best universities in the United States, Canada, Great Britain, France, and the rest of Europe.
Our SAT scores are well above the average of independent schools:
- 100% of our students pass the French Bac
- On average, more than 85% pass with honors
- 100% of our students pass the International Baccalaureate
- 100% of our students attend prestigious colleges or universities in the United States, Canada, Great Britain, France, and elsewhere in Europe