Giving to the French-American School of New York is both generous, and essential.
Private education in America is not subsidized by government agencies and tuition alone does not provide sufficient funds to offer the distinctive and challenging bilingual, bicultural program we treasure at FASNY. Our mission at FASNY of offering exceptional educational opportunities for our children is only possible with your generous donations. The participation of everyone is essential, and gifts of all amounts help us achieve our overall goal.
Your gifts help keep classes small and teacher quality high. We maintain a teacher to student ratio of 1:9 to ensure individualized attention and focus. Eighty-five percent of our faculty have advanced degrees, an unprecedented accomplishment for a school our size.
Your contributions allow us to attract, retain and fairly compensate teachers of this stature as well as provide them with professional development opportunities to expand the knowledge they bring to the classroom.
Your gifts enhance FASNY’s rigorous academic program with courses in five languages, the arts, music, athletics and technology, guaranteeing that our students are afforded the well-rounded preparation that competitive colleges require. They also make it possible for all qualified children to experience our multicultural community, thereby enabling their successful navigation of our diverse, global society.
Finally, participation to the Fund for FASNY is an important factor in the decision of outside funders, such as corporations and private foundations, to award grants to the School. Participation shows potential funders that parents are enthusiastic about our education model and that the School is worthy of support.
We expect all members of the FASNY community to support The Fund for FASNY at the level that they are comfortable with.
The Fund for FASNY is the lifeblood of our School, and we are grateful for your continued annual support. Your generosity reflects your understanding of our School, its mission and our future.
The size and flexibility of the Fund ensures the resources to sustain our distinctive margin of excellence. By supporting an increasing amount of the annual operating budget, the Fund for FASNY protects the educational, athletics, visual arts and financial aid programs in which FASNY has so strategically invested. The Fund for FASNY also demonstrates alumni, staff and parent support of FASNY, a critical predictor of our success when seeking support from foundations and corporations.
A special fund within the Fund for FASNY, the Senior Fund directly supports programs that enhance the intellectual and cultural quality of school life in High School. Launched in 2009 as a celebration of FASNY’s first graduating High School class, the Senior Fund:
- Is restricted to the High School
- Supports global learning experiences – The Senior Fund contributes to field trips, which means parents are not charged the full price, but a discounted fee
- Leaves a legacy for upcoming classes – Last year’s gifts from the Senior Class are benefitting the current Senior Class – It is paying forward
- Is a gift of gratitude for the great FASNY experience: acceptance in the best institutions of higher education all over the world; extraordinary personalized support for every student; and finally the FASNY culture – open mindedness, encouragement, positive attitude, lifetime friendships all over the world
- Is your gift to the Fund For FASNY – All gifts to the Fund for FASNY from senior class parents are automatically designated to the Senior Fund, unless otherwise specified by the donor. Because the Senior Fund is part of the Fund For FASNY, your gift to the Senior Fund counts towards the participation rate of all your children’s classes, just as a gift to the Fund For FASNY does.
We are looking for 100% participation – Parent participation shows the support of the whole community. It is also a main factor in the institutional donors’ decision to award grants to the school.
A few examples of the programs financed in part by the Senior Fund:
A special fund within the Fund for FASNY, the Alumni Fund directly supports programs of continuing education for our faculty. Launched in 2016, the Alumni Fund honors the teachers who make FASNY’s unique educational model so successful year after year, thanks to their daily contribution of time and talent and their dedication to the students. Gifts to the Alumni Fund contribute to offer faculty the opportunity to stay at the cutting edge of the latest creative teaching methods, thereby benefitting both teachers and students.
We hope you will consider making a contribution to the Alumni Fund before the school's fiscal year ends on June 30, 2017. Gifts of all sizes are meaningful. The fact that you give is far more important than how much; your participation highlights the powerful connection that alumni have to FASNY, sends an important message of commitment to the community and inspires others to give.
Wherever you are in the world — and FASNY graduates cover the globe — you are part of the FASNY community and you carry with you the memory of your student days in our unique international environment. By giving to the Alumni Fund today, you ensure that the opportunities you enjoyed will be available for new generations of FASNY students. We offer three giving societies for the Alumni Fund to foster our tradition of philanthropy and recognize our supporters.
|Alumni Giving levels|
|Young Alumni Society||Up to $100|
|Citizens of the World Society||$101 to $250|
|Lifelong Learners Society||$251 to $500 +|
1. I pay tuition for my children – Why am I being solicited for gifts?
Like all independent schools in the United States, FASNY receives no government support and relies on a combination of tuition and philanthropic giving to cover its expenses. Tuition alone does not cover the actual cost of a FASNY education. Donations to FASNY help bridge the gap and enable the School to attract and retain excellent faculty, provide professional development, fund our academic programs and extra-curricular activities, upgrade our equipment, and offer financial aid to deserving students. They are crucial to ensure that FASNY can deliver on its mission. For concrete examples see question #6
2. What are the different funds I can support?
The Fund For FASNY: The FFF is the main fund of unrestricted donations that gives the School the means to support its mission where the needs are most pressing.
Within the Fund for FASNY, there are two separate funds: the Senior Fund supported by parents of seniors and the Alumni Fund by our alumni students. See questions #3 & #4.
The Olivia Tucker Scholarship Fund (OTSF) is a fund dedicated to financial aid. See question #5.
3. What is the Senior Fund?
- A special fund within the Fund for FASNY, the Senior Fund directly supports programs enhancing school life in the Secondary School. It was launched in 2009 in recognition of FASNY’s first graduating high-school class.
- This year, the Senior Fund contributes to international trips (London Shakespeare trip, Utah Baccalauréat Review, Model UN Conferences,) and initiatives that strengthen multicultural awareness and global citizenship skills, such as the People of Color Conference and Student Leadership Diversity Conference. Note that the fee that parents pay for the London or Utah trip does not cover the entire cost of the trip. The Senior Fund covers the difference and also helps financial aid recipients go on the trip. Donations to the Fund For FASNY from families with a senior student are automatically allocated to the Senior Fund. This gift is considered your gift to the Fund for FASNY.
4. What is the Alumni Fund?
A special fund within the Fund for FASNY, the Alumni Fund directly supports programs of continuing education for our faculty. It was launched in 2016 to honor the teachers who helped to successfully launch our young alumni into the world. The Alumni Fund is an opportunity for alumni to give back to their teachers.
5. What is the Olivia Tucker Scholarship Fund?
The OTSF commemorates the life of Olivia Tucker, a FASNY alumna who passed away in 2006. The Fund helps provide the FASNY experience to students who would not otherwise be able to attend for financial reasons, and thus supports the School’s goal of promoting economic diversity. This is a temporarily restricted fund: 100% of the funds raised are provided as scholarship to students in the following academic year.
6. Where will my donation go?
The Head of School and Division Heads decide on the allocation of the funds raised. Here are just a few concrete examples of the impact of your donations on our 843 students over 3 campuses.
- The FFF supports our curriculum:
Osmo workshops to sharpen social-emotional skills, creative thinking, and STEM (Larchmont)
Numerous field trips. To name just a few planned for this year: Metropolitan Museum and Emelin Theater (Larchmont), Metropolitan Opera House (11th &12th grades).
- The FFF supports our faculty:
Positive discipline workshop attended by all elementary school teachers and administrators (more than 35 participants)
Workshops on speaking, reading and writing in a bilingual environment
- The FFF supports our equipment:
New playground equipment (slides) and gross motor skills equipment upgrade (Scarsdale).
IT equipment upgrade: Purchase of iPads (K), Chromebooks (tablet + keyboard) from grades 4 to 10 (3 campuses), iPads in the art classroom for a new method of art production and manipulation (Larchmont)
- The FFF supports our community:
Financial aid for our students
7. How much should I give?
Last year, the average gift from parents was $1,140. The School received 62 major gifts of $2,500 or higher from parents totaling $425,057 and representing 67% of the total unrestricted funds received. The School is very fortunate to have such loyal and generous donors. As you decide on your level of support, please consider joining the 1980 Society with a gift of $2,500 or more.
8. If I cannot make a large gift, does a small gift really make a difference?
FASNY values every gift regardless of size. Last year, 181 parents gave $250 or less and contributed $19,899. The 325 parents who gave at the Supporters Circle level (up to $499) contributed $37,301 to the School. Every gift gets counted when we calculate our participation rate. All gifts are important to the School and will be acknowledged in our Report of Giving.
9. What is the participation rate and why is it important?
The parent participation rate measures the proportion of parents who contribute to the FFF. Participation to the Fund for FASNY is an important factor in the decision of outside funders, such as corporations and private foundations, to award grants to the school. Participation shows potential funders that parents are enthusiastic about our education model and that the School is worthy of support. Last year, our parent participation was 70%. We are aiming for 100% parent participation. Our own faculty and staff are committed to the School and contribute to the FFF to show their support for their colleagues and our community. Last year, staff participation rate was 69%.
We expect that all members of the FASNY community will choose to support the School at whatever level they are comfortable with.
10. What is the 1980 Society?
Named in honor of the School’s founding year, the 1980 Society was formed in 2010 to recognize unrestricted leadership gifts to the Fund for FASNY. Membership starts with a gift of $2,500 or more. The 1980 Society is comprised of members of the entire FASNY community including parents, alumni, alumni parents, and staff. Members attend the annual 1980 Society Dinner with current and former trustees.
11. Can I direct my gift?
Most donors make unrestricted donations and let the Head of School and Division Heads allocate the funds to the areas of greatest need. Please call the development office if you would like to indicate a specific area -- scholarship, arts or athletics for instance. Support of the Fund for FASNY in any form gives our students the opportunity to explore their talents and enriches their experience at FASNY.
12. What is the Gala?
The Gala is the primary fundraising event held annually at the school. It is organized by our community volunteers led by the Gala co-chairs. The event provides an opportunity for the community to support the School through the purchase of tickets and auction items. In addition, corporations and businesses support the event through sponsorship and donation of auction items. The themes of the Gala follow the mission of the School. Each year, an honoree who embodies the values of the School is recognized at the event.
Although the Gala raises funds to support the overall budget and mission of the School, ticket purchases and items purchased during the auction do not count towards a donation to the FFF. Please see question #13.
During the Gala, funds are also raised to support the Olivia Tucker Scholarship Fund.
13. What is the difference between the funds raised at FASNY’s Gala and those raised for the Fund For FASNY?
The funds raised are used to accomplish the same objectives but the donor’s priority should be to support the FFF because:
- 100% of donations to the Fund for FASNY go directly to enhance the students’ educational experience and make an immediate impact.
- 100% of the FFF gift amount is tax deductible for the donor.
- The FFF donations show community support. They inspire others to give.
- Gifts to the Fund For FASNY generally come early in the year and are immediately applied where the need is greatest so the benefit to current students is immediate.
- For funds raised at the Gala, the cost of the event needs to be deducted (venue, meal, etc.), thus reducing the amount available to the School.
- Gala related purchases are not 100% tax deductible for the donor.
14. Are my gifts to the Fund for FASNY 100% tax deductible?
Yes. Since FASNY is a not-for-profit organization, when you make a cash donation to the FFF, you are entitled to an income tax deduction of the entire donation amount, subject to tax deductions limitations. A tax receipt will be mailed to you.
15. Are my gifts to the Gala tax deductible?
Tickets and auction items won at the Gala are only deductible for the amount above the value of goods or services received. Donations to the Olivia Tucker Scholarship Fund are 100% tax deductible. The School provides an itemized receipt that states the charitable contribution portion of all purchases.
16. What does the Fund For FASNY contribute towards the overall budget?
Gifts to the FFF are used to enhance academic programs and extra-curricular activities, and represent an increasing portion of the overall budget -5% for the last school year. The charts from the 2015-16 Annual Report of Giving, show the School’s revenues and expenses.
17. What is the Capital Campaign for Ridgeway?
FASNY’s long-term vision is to secure a permanent home for all the School’s divisions. In 2011, FASNY purchased the defunct Ridgeway Country Club, a 130-acre property in White Plains, and started the early phase of a capital campaign to help finance the project. Some donations to this capital campaign have already been released to contribute towards the costs associated with the design of the master plan and the permitting process.
All independent schools have to raise funds for projects that are beyond the scope of the daily operations budget, often for facilities or major equipment upgrades. Contributions to a capital campaign are donations made in addition to the annual donations to the FFF.
18. When should I give?
The FFF is an annual fund so you should give once a year, preferably at the start of the school year. Once you give or make a pledge you will receive no further solicitation for the Fund for FASNY for the year.
19. What is a pledge?
A pledge is a commitment to make a gift of a specified dollar amount in the future. It is to be fulfilled by the end of the School’s fiscal year, June 30, 2017.
20. How can I give to the Fund For FASNY?
Gifts and pledges can be made in the following ways:
- By mail
- Online: Go to http://www.fasny.org/give
- By phone: call the Development Office at 914 250 7407 or the FFF co-chairs: Bertrand Cousin (cell: 914 826 1617), Marie-José Joffre (cell: 914 318 803) and Susana Romano Krywosa (cell: 914 826 1617). They would love to hear from you and help you make your gift over the phone.
- Matching Gifts: they allow you to increase the value of your donations. Many companies match contributions to non-profit organizations such as FASNY through their charitable giving programs. To check whether your company is match eligible, call the Development Office.
- Gift of Securities: gifts of appreciated marketable securities entitle the donor to take an income tax deduction equal to the fair market value of the stock and eliminate the capital gains tax that would have applied if the stock had been sold. For more information on stock transfer, please contact Scott Hunt, Director of the Development Office at 914 250 0406.