Frequently Asked Questions
- We are a family interested in your bilingual program. When is the best time to apply? Is there more availability in one grade versus another?
Because mastering bilingualism is a complex, lengthy process, we urge families to apply for admission as early as possible in their children’s education. Every year we have 32 spaces available in Nursery, 8 spaces in Pre-Kindergarten, 20 spaces in Kindergarten. Spaces in Grades 1 through 12 vary year to year, depending on attrition.
- My child has never had French instruction. Can s/he be admitted at FASNY?
FASNY accepts non-French speakers in Nursery (3 year-old program) and Pre-Kindergarten (4 year-old program). However, from Kindergarten through 12th grade, children must demonstrate the ability to do grade level work in French in order to be admitted.
- My child is in a school recognized by the French National Ministry of Education but does not speak English. Can s/he be admitted at FASNY?
Non-English-speaking students can be admitted to the School at any grade level, as English as a Second Language instruction is available throughout the curriculum.
- How old must my child be to apply for Nursery?
Applicants for the 2013-2014 Nursery class must have been born by December 31, 2010 and must be completely toilet-trained before the school year begins.
- What are your tuition rates?
- When are FASNY’s school vacations?
- What are FASNY’s hours?
- Which campuses contain FASNY’s Nursery, Lower, Middle and Upper Divisions? Where are the campuses located?
- Our Scarsdale campus (Directions) is located at 85 Palmer Avenue, Scarsdale, NY 10583. It houses Nursery through Kindergarten as well as three Grade 1 classes.
- Our Larchmont campus (Directions) is located at 111 Larchmont Avenue, Larchmont, NY 10538. It houses two Grade 1 classes and Grades 2 through 5.
- Our Mamaroneck campus (Directions) is located at 145 New Street, Mamaroneck, NY 10543. It houses Grades 6 through 12.
- Does FASNY have a dress code?
We do not require our students to wear a uniform. However, we do expect students to be well-groomed and appropriately dressed.
- Is FASNY a boarding school?
The French-American School of New York is a day School, not a boarding School. FASNY does not enroll applicants wishing to pursue their last years of High School in New York without their families.
- Does FASNY have a hot lunch program?
Yes. FASNY uses a French caterer to prepare our students’ lunches. Click here
to see FASNY’s lunch menus.
- Does FASNY provide busing?
Although FASNY does not directly organize transportation to and from school, our student population is entitled to have busing services provided by most school districts. (Busing regulations are different for each school district). The school district, age of the student, and distance from the house to FASNY’s campus (es) determine a child’s eligibility.
Please click here to find out your school district.
Please click here for a list of local school districts and their phone numbers.
- Do you have after school programs? Can my child attend even if s/he is not enrolled at FASNY?
We have after-school programs at our Scarsdale (Nursery through Grade 1) and Larchmont (Grades 1 through 5) campuses. Students who do not attend FASNY are also welcome to attend our After-School programs. Click here to access our After-School Program page.
- Do you have a summer program? Is it a French immersion camp? Can my child attend even if they are not enrolled at FASNY?
For all afterschool activities and camps, please click here.