- Applicants for the 2017-2018 Nursery class must be born by December 31, 2014 and be completely toilet-trained before the school year begins.
- Non-French speaking applicants may be admitted only in Nursery, Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten.
- First through twelfth grade applicants must have the ability to perform at grade level as prescribed by the French Ministry of National Education.
- French is not required in our IB Diploma Programme beginning in 11th grade.
General Admission Information
In the interest of a positive educational experience for our students, the family’s demonstrated interest in and commitment to FASNY’s mission is critical.
Student Interviews and Entrance Exams
Following the French Ministry of Education’s policies, prospective students registered in a school accredited by the French Government are admitted on the basis of school records and teacher recommendations. In some cases, the French-American School of New York will contact the Director or teachers of the applicant's school for further information.
In the case of children who live in the New York area, or those visiting the area, an evaluation to determine placement is also customary.
Applicants from Grades One through Twelve applying from a non-accredited school must take an entrance exam in French and Math. High school applicants are also asked to take a Science exam. For applicants living abroad, the exams will be administered by a local appointed administrator.
Student interviews are scheduled beginning in February. The child is interviewed individually by a member of our Pre-school faculty. The interview is conducted in either English or French, depending upon the child’s preference, and generally lasts no longer than 30 minutes. One parent may stay with the child during the interview.
Student interviews are scheduled beginning in January. The children are interviewed in groups of three by several members of the Admissions Committee. The interview is conducted in either English or French, depending on the child’s preference, and generally lasts no longer than one hour. During the interview, parents are asked to wait in a separate room.
Student interviews are scheduled beginning in January. The children are interviewed in groups of three by several members of the Admissions Committee. The interview is conducted in French or English, and generally lasts no longer than one hour. During the interview, parents are asked to wait in a separate room.
First through Twelfth Grades
Student interviews and evaluations are scheduled beginning in January.
- In first through fifth grades, French and English teachers from the anticipated grade level will meet the student (maximum of 1 hour per session).
- In sixth through twelfth grades, candidates meet with the Upper School French, English, and Math coordinators (1 hour each). High School students will also meet with a Science teacher.
What will you need to complete your application?
- 150 USD Online Application Fee Payment per child
- Teacher recommendation(s) from your child’s current school (to be returned separately at the end of the 1st trimester)
- Copies of your child's report cards (2015-2016 and 2016-2017 as soon as they become available)
- Student evaluation to determine placement if deemed necessary
- Parent Questionnaire
- Reconstituted Families Questionnaire and custody documents if applicable
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Technical issues happen sometimes! If you were unable to upload your child's report cards within the application form, please email them to us (in PDF files) at email@example.com
Students Rating Forms must be filled out by your child's current teacher (preferably by the end of December). Please select and forward the appropriate link directly to the teacher(s).
For Middle and Upper School students, please forward to French, Maths, Homeroom and English Teachers. Each one will be able to select his very own subject within the online form.
The Parent questionnaire will allow us to better understand the family structure and the history of your child (previous school, health issues...). Please complete one questionnaire per applicant.
Tracking the status of your online application
Login to your account and click on "View Status" to track the progress of your child's application and see the documents received so far by the Admissions Office.